Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ewa Parma's W Strefie Ognia


I first met Polish poet Ewa Parma on Facebook last year in February and have been reading and enjoying her poems in Polish and English since then. The poems have an emotional drive and intensity that keeps me coming back to her work. Her writing has been published here and in Poland in journals like Slask , Connecticut River Review, Artful Dodge, and Mr. Cogito. Recently, she published a new book of poems in Polish entitled W Strefie Ognia(The Fire Zone). The book is available from the publisher .

Ewa has allowed me to post one of the poems from her new book. The poem is about a wooden statue of Mary Magdalene "with Meryl Streep’s eyes and hair like a coat all over her body" that Ewa found in a museum in Pieskowa Skala, Poland. Her English translation of her poem follows the Polish version.


Maria Magdalena z Pieskowej Skały


Jeżeli opuszczą mnie moje diabły,
obawiam się, że ulecą z nimi moje anioły.

R.M.Rilke


Nie patrz tak na mnie natarczywie
nie oddam ci ani jednego grzechu
i nie chcę by ode mnie odeszło
siedem moich złych duchów –
każdy z nich to bliski przyjaciel
prawdziwy anioł stróż
w rozterkach zawsze przy mnie
w upadkach niezawodny
w rozpaczy niezastąpiony
Gdy wychodzę z mojej jaskini
okrywam się szczelniej włosami
- ich blask oślepia anioły
co przychodzą z wodą i chlebem
i wodzą na pokuszenie swoim
androgynicznym pięknem
Za każdym razem pytają
czy łaska już na mnie spłynęła
lecz ja wciąż nie jestem gotowa
i wybieram pocałunek mężczyzny
przy którym zapiera mi dech
- oddychaj – mówi mój anioł
- oddychaj – powtarza mój demon



Here's Ewa's translation:

Marie Magdalene from Pieskowa Skala


If my devils leave me, I am afraid
my angels will fly away, too.

(R.M.Rilke)


Don’t look at me so insistently
I won’t give you a single sin of mine
and I don’t want my seven evil spirits
to abandon me – each one
is a close friend to me
a real guardian angel
standing by me when I am irresolute
unfailing when I am falling
indispensable to me in despair
Whenever I go out from my cave
I wrap myself tightly with my hair –
its glamour is blinding the angels
bringing me bread and water
and tempting me with their
androgynous beauty
Each time they ask me if
I have already been touched by Grace
but I am still not ready
and choose the kiss of a man
by whom I keep losing my breath
“Breathe”, says my angel
“Breathe”, echoes my demon


__________________________________

Other poems by Ewa Parma are available online at Modowo.PL.

No comments: